Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Favorite HK street food

  Hello guys!! So I'm back from my trip to Shenzhen, and to be honest, it isn't all that fun. I'm back all snugly at my apartment now, and feeling sleepy. I am so sorry for not updating for four days now. Anyways,  this is the view from my window today. Today is a bit chillier, but maybe thats because autumn is arriving (yay!)

  The sky's much clearer than the last photo, and theres a bit of sunlight, but still some smog:( Oh well. At least its not too hot; autumn is on the way!! 

  Since we all love food and food is one of the most posted things on Instagram (and selfies and mirrors), I'm going to share with you some of my favorite snacks that you'll find in Hong Kong:) Of course, you might find them in food stores, but food always tastes better in their place of origin, right? To y'all Brits, fish and chips taste the best in the UK, eh? (Sorry I can't help it) 

  The first one is called 蛋撻, which translates to egg tart. It is basically a tart filled with sweet custard and baked. There are two kinds of tarts, a pastry puff one and a butter, more cookie like one. Personally, I like the pastry kind the most, because I just really like the texture and the taste more. Also, I think its the traditional one. I really really like it, and I definitely want one right now. I might even make some at home and post it here someday. In fact I might attempt to make all of the snacks I posted.

   Don't think that this egg tart will fill you up, it's just a snack. It fits in the palm of your hand. I've had a foreign teacher once who thought that an egg tart is like a whole meal, and he asked my friend to bring him one the next day. She forgot to bring one, and it turns out that he thought that an egg tart will be a full meal and skipped lunch. Don't. It's just a snack. 

  The next is 砵仔糕. According to Wikipedia, it 'literally' translates to little pudding cake. It's pronounced like 'boot tsai go'. At least that's how I say it. It's probably put chai ko, but it would sound quite weird in Cantonese. So put chai ko is basically like a soft, sweet pudding like that holds it shape. Here it's usually put in a bowl then a stick is pushed into it and the whole thing pulls out after steamed. I really liked it as a child, but I hate the ones with the azuki (red beans) in.  

  There are a few variations of this put chai ko: brown sugar, brown sugar with azuki, white sugar and white sugar with azuki. I don't like the ones with azuki. My mom bought the above put chai ko for me last night, and thats how I thought of a topic. This is really good, though of course some shops make it better than others.

  Well, let's go onto the next snack now should we? The next is something called 雞蛋仔, which translates to little eggs (literally), but it is actually a waffle like snack. Pronounce it as: gai dan jai. You can find it at most street food stalls on the streets. It is made between two metal 'skillets' with holes in them, and when the pancake like batter is cooked, it comes out as something like bubble wrap, but made with a batter. Apparently the best kind of  gai dan chai is the ones that are crispy but the 'bubbles' are chewy. 


  The traditional flavor is egg, but of course, you can't really taste the egg. It's kind of sweet I guess? Because we live in such a sophisticated age (wat.) of course there will be flavor variations in even the most classic snacks. Other than egg, there are also chocolate, strawberry, sesame and many more flavored types of gai dan chai, but at each place where they sell gai dan chai, rest assured they will always sell the traditional one. The flavor variations are less common but they exist. 

  So thats about it, some of my favorite HK street food. Hope this has made you hungry, and I'll see you tomorrow!:) Hopefully making up for the few days I was away. Bye bye!!

  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment